Free Workshops for High School Students and Parents
College Applications and Essays that Get You Noticed
October 7 2012
12th Grade Students & Parents
Started that essay seven times without finding something that clicked? Our experts share tips for great applications and essays, making the process more organized and manageable, while helping you make your applications show who you are.
Becoming a Better Student: Cultivating School Skills & Habits of Mind
November 4 2012, 12:30-2:30pm
9th-12th Grade Students & Parents
Brought to you by Tutorpedia, led by David Taus
Being good in school only has a little to do with how "smart" you are. More than knowledge, success in school depends on being a good student. We will discuss what it means to be a good student, how to cultivate these skills and habits of mind, and how to apply them to important tasks like the SAT and the college application process. We will also teach strategies that parents can use to support their children in building strong study, organization, and time management skills.
The College Admissions Process
January 13 2013
9th-11th Grade Students & Parents
Vital information that will save you time and effort! Understand how the choices you make throughout high school affect college admissions. Discover the path to reach your college goals!
Finding the Right College Fit
March 3 2013
10th-11th Grade Students & Parents
Itís not about the best school; itís about the best match for you. Learn how to determine which colleges fit your goals, strengths, and dreams.
Our workshops are staffed by a panel of experts including:
- Private one-on-one essay specialist
- Essay and college advisor at Terra Linda High School
- UC Berkeley Extension guest lecturer
- 10,000 Degrees Scholarship Reader
- Alumni Interviewer for the University of Pennsylvania
Laurie Favaro, M.S.
- Independent college counselor providing personalized admission counseling, including high school preparation, college selection, applications, and essays.
- Masterís in Counseling Ė Emphasis in Career/Life Planning
- Certificate in College Admissions and Career Planning Ė UC Berkeley
- Member of Higher Education Consultants Association
David Taus, B.S. Brown, M.Ed. Harvard
- Director of Programs at Tutorpedia & Co-Founder of Tutorpedia Foundation
- 18 years of teaching and tutoring experience in both public & private schools
- Extensive experience in psychology & education