Join us at the Farmer’s Market as we celebrating this "new year" for trees!
In partnership with
|Pop-Up Jewish Marin Celebrates
Tu B'Shevat Fun for all –
with a side of Jewish
Presented by the Osher Marin JCC’s
Center for Jewish Peoplehood
With Marin JCC Camp and Kesher
Meet us at the San Rafael Farmer’s Market for Tu B'Shevat activities and fun!
Tu B'Shevat — the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Shvat--is the day that we celebrate as the “New Year” for the trees.
- February is a great month for green garlic, pomelos, beets, kumquats and so much more! During Tu B’Shevat, it’s traditional to eat a new fruit on this day, or to eat from the following Seven Species described in the Bible as being abundant in the land of Israel: Wheat, Barley, Olives, Dates, Grapes Figs, Pomegranates. How many of these can you find at the Farmer’s Market? Get the whole family involved!
- Offset your carbon footprint: pick one of our rainbow seed bundles to plant at home!
- Put a new twist on Tu B’Shevat: There is a Japanese term called Shinrin-yoku that means "forest bathing." The idea is simple: if a person simply visits a natural area and walks in a relaxed way there are calming, rejuvenating and restorative benefits to be achieved. Head to Muir Woods for an afternoon of “forest bathing”, or discover a new park. The next National Park Free Entrance Day is Monday, February 20. We’ll be giving out lists of all the parks to visit throughout the Bay Area area.
- Meet the Marin JCC’s Camp & Youth staff, and learn more about the upcoming Mid-Winter Break Camp. Your camper is sure to re-discover the magic of PLAY, as they build new relationships, spark their creativity and ignite their imaginations.
- Kids are invited to take a spin on the Camp Prize Wheel, for a chance to win a variety of Camp swag and other fun prizes, including kids’ National Parks passport books!
- Eating local and in season tastes better, helps to support your local farmers, and the environment! Check out what’s in season each month here.
FREE to ALL!